Sunday, December 18, 2011

A new area, great skiing

Mark Hertenstein breaks trail to the foot of Weatherwax for some tele skiing 
C


With temperatures in the 50s in town it is hard to believe that skiing could be so good in the nearby Little Belt Mountains.
But, it was Saturday.
Ski-buddies Mark Hertenstein and Jim Heckel shared some new tele bowls with me they had discovered the week previous on the far south end of Weatherwax where a ridge separates it from Deadman.
The wind and sun had slightly crusted the large bowls there, but the skiing was quite good.  I could see why they were so excited about finding this new spot.  My only concern is that it is just a bit south of the Weatherwax bowls so popular with snowmobilers and can't imagine this area hasn't been discovered and gets hammered by the motorheads.
We'll see.
We went on to the first set of Deadman bowls just downridge to the north and west and found untouched powder in pretty good shape and spent a couple of hours cutting turns.
The snow there is deep and I found myself sinking on some of my turns.
I've been out about a half-dozen times and it is still a week from Christmas.
It looks like there's a good ski year developing.
Our route Saturday marked by my "Spot" finder

No comments: