Monday, March 02, 2015

A couple exceptional trips

My son, Demian climbing in one of the South Fork Teton drainages of Front
The snow was so good and it was cold enough that I had two exceptional backcountry trips last week.
Demian's avalanche gear
The first, last Thursday, was up the South Fork of the Teton with my son, Demian.
The second, Sunday, was a sort of tele-fest in the Kings Hill/Weatherwax area in the Little Belt Mountains.
The ski in the Front was particularly satisfying because my son showed me a new area, which will open up some real possibilities for skiing and climbing.  Many times I've skied into the bowl beneath Teton Peak.  He showed me an area below the peak just east of Teton.
 We skied up a spectacular valley and he climbed the peak on his skinned split board.  The snow was about six inches of powder sitting on a hard pack.  I found it difficult to set an edge and telemarked out while he climbed.
The skiing Sunday was in an area I've returned to many times.  The snow was a perfect 8 inches of powder that was set up just right for yo-yo telemark skiing.
Perfect telemark slopes in Little Belts Sunday


No comments: