Monday, June 25, 2018

Checking flood damage and climbing Fairview Peak

One of the many impressive views from the top of Fairview Mountain

This is where I crossed Willow Creek

Relics of an old fire below the peak

I"m always impressed by this spring that empties from the limestone walls into Willow Creek

Willow Creek out of its banks swamping an old cabin

Sandhill cranes I encountered

Fairview Peak

Flood damage on Benchmark Road
A large snowfield beneath Fairview peak
I had no intention of climbing Sunday.
I had even walked in my neighborhood waiting for the rain to stop.
When it did about 10 a.m., I decided to drive to Augusta to check out the flood damage.
We had cancelled our scheduled Montana Wilderness Association climb of Fairview Peak in the Front based on Forest Service reports that the road into Willow Creek was flood-damaged and impassible.
Quickly I learned that the road between Simms and Augusta was closed and if I wanted to reach Augusta I would have to go by way of US 287 at Bowman Corner.  I passed by the town of Sun River and things looked pretty dry if disheveled from the water that had poured through that small village.  The worst of the flooding was obviously over there.
Going via Bowman Corner route added at least 20 miles to my drive to Augusta, but they were quite scenic and pleasant with flowers, particularly lupine, in spectacular bloom in the fields.  The grass seemed as green as Ireland to me.
Augusta was also dry, but one could see the gravel left by the raging Elk Creek.  Signs blocked the road to the Dearborn, Elk and Smith Creek trailheads.
I knew that the Sun Canyon Road was open, but had heard that Benchmark was closed, although I didn't know where, although I suspected just east of Wood Lake where there is always water damage in the Spring.
I had hoped that the Benchmark Road would be open at least to the Beaver-Willow Road junction and I could examine access to Willow Creek and the Fairview trailhead.
Along the way I passed really full reservoirs and lakes and noted fishermen at Nilan Reservoir.
There was only one major road damage spot, just beyond the lakes before the Cobb Ranch.  It was narrowed to one lane with orange pylons, and a deep gash, about 30 feet long indicated major water damage.
At the Beaver-Willow junction there were some ruts in the softened road, but nothing my car couldn't get around.
To my great surprise the Willow Creek road was in about the same shape it is always in ---- not great, but driveable.  I was able to get to the trailhead.
The only problems were that I would have to cross an out-of-its-banks Willow Creek at the beginning of the hike and it was well past noon and Fairview Mountain meant a 3,000 feet climb.
I donned my sandals and waded the ice-cold creek and noticed that an outbuilding on the adjacent farm in the middle of the creek's path.
Otherwise, the climb was pretty much as usual and I had great views at the top.
I was pretty proud that I reached the summit in 2 hours and 10 minutes and patted myself on my 70- year-old back in doing so.
This is an easy climb that delivers outstanding views into the Scapegoat and Bob Marshall wilderness areas.  It was surprising to see how much snow there is on the Scapegoat plateau in the Flint, Observation and Triple Divide peaks areas.
There were also large snow fields on Fairview's northeast peak.
Leaving the area I happened upon a couple of Sand Hill Cranes that clucked and gobbled in protest of my presence.
I'm concerned about the accessibility problems along the Front this hiking season because of all the bridges out and road damage.
I discovered a much quicker way home than Bowman Corner route, heading out of Augusta north on US 287 to the Fairfield cut across road, which is only six more miles further than the 52 Simms-Augusta road.


No comments: