Wednesday, June 26, 2019

Struggling to get back on feet: Rodgers Peak

It looks to be a banner year for Beargrass 
Indian Paintbrush livened the forest floor


From the top of Rodgers Peak
After my hike last week I went home and felt terrible and slept for 16 hours and nearly round the clock for the next three days trying to shake off a bug I picked up in Spain.
I'm trying to slowly build up my strength and to that end on Tuesday did the easy 4-mile roundtrip, 1,400 feet climb of 7,025 feet Rodgers Peak above Rogers Pass on the Continental Divide Trail.
I didn't have much trouble other than fighting back phlegm that was trying to choke me.
I was treated to a partly cloudy day with a mild breeze and a fantastic wildflower display.
I think I'm ready to declare that this year will be a banner Beargrass year.
Driving up to the Pass the east side, clearcut hillsides were full of beargrass in full bloom.
The other side of the pass had plenty of beargrass, too.
I was able to catch the apline Forget-Me-Not, Douglasia, and many other flowers that carpeted the top of the peak and the Trail.
Below, the Indian Paintbrush, Many Flower Stickseed (looks like a Forget Me Not on stilts), Columbine and Valerian (Tobacco Root) were everywhere.
On Monday I got out for a walk along Riversedge Trail south ridge and it is green beyond belief and Rainbow Falls is quite photogenic.
This is a great time of year to be in northcentral Montana.

No comments: