Saturday, April 18, 2020

How we're dealing with self distancing and isolation during the Covid-19 pandemic

The (Ross) Snow Geese were still hanging around Freezout Lake last week

The Memorial Falls trailhead
I've taken to finding creative ways to deal with the self-isolation/distancing during my first five weeks in Covid-19 lockdown.
Naturally, we continue to do our daily neighborhood walks.  But, because people are flocking to the parks with baby strollers and dogs and are sometimes walking several people abreast without respecting body-distancing, we've had to alter our routes.
I'm amazed at the denial and lack of sensitivity of folks, particularly with dogs.
We walk on the outskirts of parks and in the neighborhood streets and avoid peak periods, hoping to avoid any human contact.  Sometimes we're quite successful; other times, not.
Since Great Falls has over 60 city parks, we figured that just seeing all of them, would be a nice diversion and a way to get out of the house.
I'm embarrassed to say that I had never visited Wadsworth Park and its large lake on the far west end of Great Falls.  This is an amazing and beautiful community resource that we walked around one of the days.  Some of the parks are almost too small to count as full-blown parks.
We've taken to driving to some of our smaller communities, parking the car, and walking around the full length of the towns.  We did that recently in Choteau and Fairfield on a ferociously windy Rocky Mountain Front day.
Last Thursday, Katie and I went back to Holter Lake where Mark Hertenstein and I had been hiking two days previously, and did the 4-mile Juniper Bay to Logging Gulch Campground loop.  We enjoyed finding new wildflowers along the way.  No ticks there yet.
And this Wednesday I went up to Showdown, where there had been a fresh dump of a foot of powder and did nearly 6-miles on the hill, going down Muley and Big Seven downhill runs for the first time in several years.
I think we're now past the major snowstorms and the foothills are starting to green, which means we'll be hiking in the Highwoods, Big Belts and Front soon.
And yes, one of my past times has been to watch Amazon Prime series.  I shouldn't admit that I watched all 87 episodes of the "Sopranos," during this lockdown, along with two seasons of "Julien Baptiste:  The Missing," and much, much more.
I pine for Major League Baseball, particularly now that the Chicago White Sox have rebuilt their team.
Here's hoping they figure out how to get a season.
Another important casualty has been the closure of the Canadian border.  How I'd love to visit Lethbridge, Waterton, and Calgary.
We canceled trips to Chicago when the Lyric Opera canceled its season, and to Scandanavia, which was planned for May 15-30.






No comments: