Monday, August 31, 2020

Oops! Forgot an Aug. 24 hike in Sluice Boxes State Park

 

A very steep trail to the cliff jumping area
A wide spot in a creek that still has plenty of water in it

I had to wonder how these concrete supports got here
The railroad tunnel

The decaying trestle
The remains of the old Montana Central Railroad tracks

A new bridge put in place (by helicopter) this summer

This state park in the limestone cliffs of the Belt Creek Canyon bottom is only a half-hour drive from town and perhaps, the most scenic hike in our are.

It is a 7.5 miles point-to-point hike through on the rotting remains of what was once a train that hauled mining ore (and fisherman) between Great Falls' smelter and the Monarch-Barker-Hughesville-Neihart mining district.

When I have a few hours and am looking for a short hike I plunge into this area.

I did so on Aug. 24 as our area was being overwhelmed by the California fires' smoke that had drifted in.

As usual, I was struck by how awesome the limestone cliffs and emerald waters are.

I also marvel at the engineering fete that the Great Northern rail line there was, hanging a narrow gauge railroad bed off the side of the canyon, crossing and recrossing gulches and Belt Creek, and even punching a tunnel through the rock.

While this area is overwhelmed by visitors on the weekends during the summer, I had it to myself on this day.


No comments: