Thursday, January 07, 2021

Oblivious to Trump mob attack on Capitol while skiing

 

Snow ghosts on the 747 trail

I was happy to see Denise Davies and Brian Kennedy from the Flathead on the trail

Since I was alone, I used my shadow to highlight my ski tracks and great powder

I'm not sure if it was a good thing or bad thing that I missed the Trump Mob's attack on the Capitol Tuesday while I skied out-of-touch in the back country.

I did a 9.4 mile loop in the Little Belts linking Mizpah Bowls with the 747 traverse, a solo run in windless, and bright sun, a peaceful and gorgeous activity in contrast to what was going on in Washington, D.C.

I didn't find out about this attack on our democracy, a coup if you will, until I returned to the car around 4 p.m. and turned on my radio and listened in utter horror.  Needless to say, I've been preoccupied and upset ever since tuning back in.

The wind has been relentless in Great Falls and things are drying out, so my trip to the mountains was to explore whether there was even enough snow to ski.

There was about two inches of fresh powder at Kings Hill Pass, and the sun shone brightly with only the slightest breeze, so I decided to try Mizpah again, a trip I had just taken a mere 10 days ago.  It is one of my favorite back country skis because it takes me to an open ridge, high above snow-covered slopes that sparkle like diamonds when the sun is out, and offering terrific Central Montana views.  Such was the case this Jan. 6.  It was so warm I skied without a hat and clad in a sweatshirt.

As I passed the Trail 747 cutoff I though that I might try to link that trip with Mizpah if I found I had enough energy.

After a delightful lunch at the Mizpah cabin I headed back with that in mind.

Just after I skinned up to climb out of the ridge line's low point, I was met by Denise Davies and Brian Kennedy, Glacier Mountaineering Society climbing friends from the Flathead.  I knew they were staying at the Kings Hill cabin, but figured they were skiing the Showdown hill.  They opted for cross country skiing instead, and followed my tracks.  It was great to see them.

Even though snowmobiles had hit the FS Road 6413, the new snow made the ski run down it less treacherous. 


No comments: